Wednesday, February 25
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm
Lunch & Learn
The Fundamentals of Machining Heat-Resistant Super Alloy (HSRA) Materials with Whisker-Reinforced and Phase-Toughened Ceramics
This seminar details the physical and chemical properties that enable modern ceramic cutting tools to machine HRSA materials at significantly higher metal removal rates than carbide.
- Properties of whisker-reinforced and phase-toughened ceramics
- Using the properties of modern ceramics to machine HRSA materials
- Common HRSA materials suitable for machining with ceramics
- Applications most suitable for machining HRSA materials with ceramics
- Programming tips for machining with ceramics
- Tool maintenance and handling, when to index and how to evaluate tool life
- On the horizon – new machine and material technology will lead to more opportunities for extraordinary machining with ceramics
About Jim Wyant
Jim Wyant is an Applications Engineer with Greenleaf Corporation, a cutting tool manufacturer that provides metal-cutting tooling solutions to industries worldwide. He consults regularly with manufacturing professionals from a wide variety of industries around the world to help select, apply and optimize Greenleaf products. During his career with Greenleaf, Jim has held positions in engineering/manufacturing including cutting tool engineer, where he was involved in the design and manufacture of cutting edge tool designs and development of special tooling. In 2011 he took a position within the Applications Engineering department. Prior to employment with Greenleaf, Jim was a machinist for eight years running a variety of different machinery. He has traveled the United States and Europe assisting customers and pioneering new methods of applying ceramic and carbide technology for improved performance and productivity.